Fermented milk products are present in the cuisine of many nations of the world. This is ayran, and Kumis, and yogurt, and much more. However, it was yogurt that became the symbol of the benefits of sour milk. The product is known all over the world, it is drunk before bedtime, eaten for breakfast, seasoned with salad and added to other dishes. What kind of product is this and what is its benefit to the body?
Varieties of yogurt
The huge popularity of yogurt is not least due to the fact that it is present in the cultures of countries where there are cows and milk is prized – that is, almost everywhere. And in hot climates, in principle, it is easier to preserve a dairy product if it is fermented. Sourdough methods, folk recipes, milk used – all this is the reason for the significant number of yoghurt varieties. All species are united by a common requirement for the product – the presence of lactobacilli, primarily thermophilic streptococci. Their content should be at least 107 CFU per gram. In general, yoghurts can be divided into varieties:
- By the raw materials used. The product can be made from natural, reconstituted (in whole or in part), recombined (also in whole or in part) milk;
- For additives. There are both products with fruit additions (they are quite popular), and simply flavored. There are also yoghurts without any flavoring and aromatic additives;
- By fat content. The mass fraction of fat in the product makes it possible to distinguish semi-fat, low-fat, low-fat, creamy, milk-cream, cream-milk and classic drinks.
Yoghurts from around the world
Different nations make their own drinking fermented milk products. There are many variations, it is difficult to list everything, so we will focus on the most popular ones.
Skyr. His homeland is Iceland. The product resembles fat sour cream or curd mass in consistency.
Leaven. Manufactured in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine. It differs from kefir in a large number of lactobacilli contained.
Greek yogurt. As the name suggests, it is produced in Greece according to local recipes. It has a thick consistency, contains a maximum of proteins and a minimum of carbohydrates.
Jameed. A Bedouin product containing a large amount of dry matter. It is made on the basis of sheep’s milk and looks like cheese.
Turkish yogurt. Like jamid, it is rich in dry matter.
Soy yogurt. A soy product with many variations. It is even made from coconut and almond milk.
Australian yogurt. It has a soft creamy texture. Most often it is eaten with honey.
Caloric content of the product
The number of calories in yogurt depends on its sugar and fat content:
- With a fat content of 1.5%, the calorie content is 51 kcal per 100 g;
- With a mass fraction of fat 2% – 60 kcal per 100 g;
- 2.5% raises the calorie content to 76 kcal, etc.
The nutritional and energy value of a store product can be viewed on the product packaging. Homemade yogurt will contain between 100 and 245 calories. A home-made product with skim milk is most suitable for dietary nutrition, since it has no additives or preservatives.
Expert Opinion: Nutritionists claim that a store-bought product has more calories due to the presence of additives. Therefore, experts advise you to prepare a healthy treat yourself.
The benefits of yogurt
- The product contains such components as fatty acids, carbohydrates, milk protein, iodine, calcium, B-group vitamins, phosphorus, live microorganisms. Thanks to this, the body receives the substances necessary for active and healthy life.
- Yogurt allows you to improve intestinal motility, accelerate the elimination of toxic substances, and fight stagnation. It is considered the most effective to consume the product for dinner – this helps to reduce the negative effect on the stomach.
- This is an important element of the diet for those who play sports or simply devote a lot of time to physical activity. Milk protein and calcium help tighten muscle fibers, thereby reducing the likelihood of damage to bones and tendons.
- Yogurt is recommended for those who have stomach problems (gastritis, other stomach diseases). The product envelops the mucous membranes and thus helps protect against thinning and ulceration.
- In a study that was conducted at Harvard University, it was found that natural yogurt in the diet has a strong effect on weight loss. Scientists have not yet identified the reason for this feature, but there is a hypothesis that this is the action of probiotics that help the body cope with excess fat. Herbalife Nutrition’s Formula 1 Protein Shake can also help you lose weight while providing your body with essential nutrients. It contains a balanced combination of essential nutrients: fiber, natural protein, over 20 minerals and vitamins. One serving provides up to 50% of the recommended daily intake of vitamins. Moreover, it contains a minimum amount of fat. The calorie content of the product is 200 kcal (when cooked with 250 ml of 1.5% milk).
- Yogurt has the ability to strengthen the body’s immune system. To successfully resist acute respiratory viral infections and other colds, it is recommended to eat 300 g of the product daily (for children – half as much).
- Elements in this fermented milk products help prevent early aging of body systems and organs. Homemade yogurt allows you to cleanse the lymph, remove cholesterol, and improve blood composition. It is used for the prevention of strokes, heart attacks, coronary heart disease, varicose veins, atherosclerosis.
- The product is recommended to be included in the diet to combat excess toxins in the body, which appear against the background of improper and unhealthy nutrition. It also helps to free the liver from excess bile and eliminate the effect of toxic substances on the organ.
- Yogurt can be eaten to prevent or combat depression. The composition of the product enhances neural activity and, as a result, brain activity. This improves memory, motor skills, visual perception, concentration, and improves mood.
- One serving of yogurt contains about 30% of the daily calcium requirement for an adult. The element is involved in strengthening teeth, hair, nails, bone tissue. For this reason, the product is often added to cosmetics that help to look attractive.
Potential harm of yogurt
In addition to its benefits, yogurt can be harmful to the body. What should you pay attention to?
- Composition of the product. Preservatives and other additives can negatively affect the body, so it is important to give preference to natural products.
- Shelf life. Like any other product, yogurt has its own freshness period, after which it is no longer worth eating: its use can lead to problems with the gastrointestinal tract or even poisoning.
- Individual intolerance. Yoghurts should not be eaten by people with lactose intolerance, casein protein allergy.
The presence of sugar. Sweet yoghurts are contraindicated for people suffering from diabetes mellitus and other abnormalities from the glycemic background. In this case, you need to choose natural products without sugar content.